Sunday, December 23, 2007
Friday, December 21, 2007
- Christmas crackers were invented in England in 1847 by Tom Smith, who had recently visited Paris and found "bon bons" which were almond sweets wrapped in paper twisted at the ends.
- Inspired by Chinese fortune cookies, Smith added small love mottos to his own versions.
- In 1846, Smith was sitting next to his crackling fire and decided to try and reproduce the "crackle" in his new sweets...within a year, the "crackers" became very popular!
- The sweets were first called "Cosaques" after the cracking of Cossack's whips, but after a decade became known as Christmas crackers.
Written by toners at 11:21 AM
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Written by toners at 6:00 PM
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
I took this one of Nattie and Tasha when I was (speedily) taking the kids' holiday photo outside. I love it! Nattie looks so grown-up and cute in her blue snow clothes, and Tasha looks...well...like Tasha :)
Today I went down to Littleton and picked up my final gift - and wrapped the last ones this afternoon! YAHOO! We have snow forecast for Friday and I really wanted to avoid shopping this weekend at all costs, so perhaps I'll be able to stay home and play with my new stamps from TCP!
I didn't get any cards made today because of all my shopping activity...perhaps tonight I'll burn a little of the ol' midnight oil...if not, I'll be back tomorrow with a card, for sure!
Have a great evening! Nattie and I are going to watch the "Duel" quiz show that's on ABC all week; we've been enjoying it together - and have learned a thing or two (or three!) as well!
Written by toners at 6:23 PM
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
just to keep the holiday pressure on! LOL! Here goes...
Finished your Christmas shopping? All except for one gift card which I hope to head down the hill to buy tomorrow morning!
Sent out all your holiday greeting cards? Done!
Decorated your house with holiday decorations? Yep! Although the tree looks a lot different from when it was first decorated a couple of weeks ago: the kittens knock ornaments off the tree for the dog to pick up (and attempt to eat), so now there aren't many decorations left on the bottom 6" of our tree :)
Play along and share your holiday progress with your blogging friends :) Back tomorrow with a card!
Written by toners at 9:43 PM
Monday, December 17, 2007
Written by toners at 10:53 AM
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Written by toners at 8:19 PM
Saturday, December 15, 2007
I made this card for the challenge that Alma sets for us DT members every couple of weeks. I decided to take a break from holiday/winter cards and make a wedding card! The cake image (Mod, Mod Wedding Cake) is popped off the page with pop dots to give it more dimension. This sketch was lots of fun to work with!
Iain and Jamie have gone out to do some shopping, and Nattie and I are hanging out at home. I'm making the most of some quiet time! Enjoy your Saturday :)
Written by toners at 12:19 PM
Friday, December 14, 2007
Oooh, it's snowing again outside! The high today is only forecast to be 19 degrees. BRRRRR! I know where I'll be going - nowhere! I'll be taking a shower and then putting jammies on! LOL! I have a project to finish that I'll post next week, and my scraproom is in serious need of being cleaned up, so I'll take care of that too.
I bet lots of you have busy weekends planned with holiday shopping, get-togethers, etc. We're going to our neighbors' tomorrow night with about 5 other neighborhood couples which should be nice. I finally got the packs of cards finished for them, so I think I'll send Nattie and Iain out in the car tonight to deliver them :)
Then on Sunday we're going down to Castle Rock to visit Sue and her family! I have almost finished wrapping their gifts....
So, have an awesome weekend - whatever you're doing! Oh - today's card is made with one of the new MFT sets called Icing on the Cake. Thanks for stopping by!
Written by toners at 8:47 AM
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Written by toners at 12:03 PM
Monday, December 10, 2007
I have several projects to finish this week: I have a Challenge page due that is about the "Year in Review", so I was busy this morning printing photos for that - and then I ran out of ink, so I guess I'll be taking a little trip to Staples in the morning. Fortunately one recently opened right here in Conifer, so I don't need to drive down the mountain.
Written by toners at 2:09 PM
Sunday, December 09, 2007
Saturday, December 08, 2007
Iain is in London for a very quick visit: he flew through the night last night, arrived at around 5am London time (10pm here), and spent today shopping for a few little Christmas gifts - as well as racking up some airmiles :) He called this afternoon and said it was pouring with rain! He'll be back late on Sunday night.
Written by toners at 3:25 PM
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Written by toners at 11:24 PM
I hope everyone is having a great Thursday! I'm so glad that the week is almost over; for some reason this week seems to have gone very slowly.
How is your Christmas shopping going? I'd say that I'm about 2/3 there and I would also like to say how grateful I am for online shopping! Particularly places like Barnes & Noble where shipping is free when you spend just $25! I don't know about you, but that is never a problem for me with that store :)
Thank you for your good wishes about Aspen; after a couple of days on the antibiotics she is doing so much better - still coughing, but nowhere near as much as before.
Today's card is another one from the "Rain or Shine" set. Don't you love those little rainboots and the dog with the coat on? LOL! You can check out the whole set here. Oh, and a little birdie told me that if you check out the Splitcoast Stampers forum here you can find a discount code for 20% off your order!! Hurry on over, it's only good through Dec. 8th!
Written by toners at 9:24 AM
Wednesday, December 05, 2007
Written by toners at 9:40 PM
Written by toners at 1:51 PM
Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Written by toners at 2:17 PM
Monday, December 03, 2007
Colored lights or white lights on your house or not at all? This year they're white!
Hot chocolate or Egg Nog? Definitely hot chocolate.
What's your favorite holiday dish? Chocolate! :)
Does Santa wrap the presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps them all and doesn't bring them until everyone is asleep on Christmas Eve.
Do you hang mistletoe? No.
When do you put up your decorations? The weekend following Thanksgiving.
What's your favorite holiday tradition? Wearing our jammies all day, enjoying our time together, and pulling Christmas crackers at the dinner table!
What's on the top of your tree? A silver and white tree topper.
Do you have a nativity displayed through the holidays? No.
Candy Canes, traditional or flavored? Or Chocolate Covered Cherries? Just chocolate!
What's your favorite holiday goodie to make and share? This year I discovered Williams & Sonoma Peppermint Bark and will be sharing that with several people :) And of course - handmade cards!
What's your favorite Christmas song? "Step Into Christmas" - Elton John
When did you learn the truth about the "magic" of Christmas? Around 10 years old, I think.
Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No. Nothing till Christmas morning!
Is there a special ornament or Christmas decoration that you wouldn't feel like Christmas without? All the ones the kids have made through the years, and the special Hallmark ones they have chosen each year.
Do you take neighbor gifts/treats to anyone, everyone, a select few? Probably half a dozen this year.
Is your big meal on Christmas Eve, Christmas morning or Christmas afternoon? Christmas afternoon (when we lived back in Scotland, dinner would always happen right after the Queen's speech on TV).
How do you decorate your tree? With the kids' help :)
Snow? Love it? Dread it? Tolerate it? Love it here in CO after years of no winter weather at all!
Do you remember a favorite gift? My favorite was always a brand new set of markers!
Do you have a family get-together during the holidays with extended family? No, we're the only ones in the U.S. - everyone else is in Scotland or England.
What's the most important thing that you must do each Christmas season? Not stress out! :)
Do you bake Christmas cookies? I wish I could - but I can't - so I don't.
Do you leave cookies and milk for Santa? Absolutely! Usually Pepperidge Farm cookies and some egg nog. Those are Santa's favorites :)
Share a favorite Christmas memory. Not necessarily a favorite, but a strong memory is waking up to the smell of turkey cooking! Yep! At my grandma's house she used to get up at 5am to put the turkey in...and it would cook all the way to mid-afternoon. For years I thought it really did take that long to roast a bird! LOL!
Written by toners at 9:17 AM
Sunday, December 02, 2007
Written by toners at 4:14 PM
Saturday, December 01, 2007
Heading out to see "Enchanted" this afternoon with Jamie, Nattie, and one of Nattie's friends from school. I've read good things about this movie - so I have my fingers crossed :) Iain's still not feeling good, so he's staying at home. Will post later with a review! Enjoy your Saturday :)
ETA: the movie was AWESOME! So cute for the kiddos - and adults! There was humor for both, a fun storyline, and (of course!) a happy ending! I took both of the kids - and both of them loved it! Great holiday-time movie :)
Written by toners at 12:54 PM
Friday, November 30, 2007
Written by toners at 3:42 PM
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
The card to the left is one I made using some scraps last week - I love the stamp! It's by WhipperSnapper Designs.
Written by toners at 7:47 PM
2. What is a typical Winter like in your area? What are the average temps this time of year? Well...the neighbors said last year wasn't a "typical" winter here - which is just as well, because our yard was covered in snow from October till April! LOL! So far this year we've had 4 significan snowfalls, but nothing more than a foot of snow - yet! I'd say the average high temps here have been in the 40s since mid-October.
3. If you live in a cooler climate, what is it that you enjoy most about it? Why do you choose to remain living there? If you live in a warmer climate, have you ever visited places that were seasonably cold? What did you like or dislike about it? This is our second winter in CO after living in CA from 1997 to 2006. I absolutely love it here, and the main reason is that we have been able to experience all 4 seasons! Spring was awesome when all the plants and trees bloomed, Summer was beautiful because it didn't get above 80 here in the mountains, Fall was amazing - all those golden aspen leaves, and Winter - it's just so pretty!
Written by toners at 6:54 PM
Here's a card I made for the Sketch Challenge that Alma gives us Cat's Pajamas DT members every couple of weeks or so. I really like the way this one turned out - simple, but pretty! Gotta love those DCWV Glitter Cards :) The stamp used here is from the Kitty Christmas set.
It's another chilly one up here in the mountains - we got about 4 inches of snow last night, and today I don't think we will be getting above freezing. I took Tasha for a walk this morning, came home, and put jammies on after my shower! LOL!
Written by toners at 1:09 PM
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
It's been a busy few days around here! On Sunday we were out shopping all day for a loft bed for Jamie...we think we found one but are still trying to convince Jamie that it's a good idea :) Then yesterday Iain and Jamie both weren't feeling too good, so I left them with their runny noses and took advantage of a day to get a head start on some Christmas shopping. It was very productive!
Made a stop at Hobby Lobby and picked up some styrofoam balls, sequins and sequin pins for the kids and I to do our holiday project - we make at least one a year together :) This is the end result of my ornament! I have to say, I'm surprised at how pretty it looks! I hope you're having a great Tuesday!
Written by toners at 12:56 PM
Sunday, November 25, 2007
- Roseanne - a sitcom that we could all relate to in one episode or another. I loved her dry sense of humor.
- Bill Cosby - we love The Cosby Show and are now enjoying sharing it with Nattie!
- Oprah - she just has to be on the list! 20 years of shows, and still going strong. The magazine is great too :)
- George Clooney - for obvious reasons! LOL! Dr. Doug Ross on ER...they were never able to replace him...
- David Letterman - seems like a really genuine guy, very down-to-earth, and his use of sarcasm is perfect!
- Larry Hagman/J.R. Ewing - even though I was living in Scotland at the time when J.R. was shot, people over there were just as hooked on "Dallas" as I hear they were here in the U.S.!
- Scooby Doo - because he and the gang have been around for what seems like forever and our (pesky) kids enjoy watching Scooby just as much as we did!
Written by toners at 12:32 AM
Friday, November 23, 2007
OK, this is the one that got the majority vote. Iain and I always choose different photos: I like the more classic ones, whereas Iain likes the ones with the funny faces - like this one! Jamie was just being soooo goofy when I took the photos outside...and I have to admit, this one shows how his personality is right now - and isn't that the point of these photos? The ones that go out to friends and family at Christmastime?
Yep, they can really see how Jamie is at 5, that's for sure! And look at Nattie, so grown-up looking - and Tasha, almost a year old now!
Written by toners at 5:29 PM
Written by toners at 12:26 PM
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Just checking in with a quick holiday card made with a gorgeous stamp from Whipper Snapper :) I want to wish all my blogging friends a VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Enjoy your day with family, friends, or whatever you're doing...and I'll catch up with you all on Friday. Take care!
Written by toners at 5:41 PM
Wow, it's chilly here today! We got about 5 inches of snow last night, and right now it's only 19 degrees outside....definitely a day to stay inside with jammies on :) And maybe even get some time to create! Sounds good to me....back later with a card!
Written by toners at 10:15 AM
Monday, November 19, 2007
I'd love to learn more about my blogging friends - here are some questions for you to copy and paste to your blog, and post your responses :) Enjoy! Here are mine:
- Who am I? Toni - wife, stay-at-home mom, friend, DT member, student
- Who knows me best? My hubby!
- How old am I? 35 (for one more month!)
- How old do I feel? 23 :)
- The most important thing in my life is... my family - hubby and kids
- I always carry...my cellphone!
- Something I always do is...drink tea - at least 3 cups of Earl Grey a day.
- I'm at my happiest when...I'm calm :)
- On a Monday morning, you'll find me...at my computer after walking Tasha! Probably finishing up a paper for school since they get turned in on Mondays!
- My favorite mode of transportation is...my car!
- My eyes are...blue/grey, and one of my favorite parts of me!
- My favorite material possession is...my room of crafting supplies!
- To relax, I like to...stamp, scrapbook, read...
- The town I live in is...small, friendly, and has 4 seasons!
- What's my worst habit? Worry/anxiety
- My guilty pleasure is...reality TV!
- When I look at someone, the first thing I see is...their smile (or lack of one!)
- I think ....................... is beautiful. The sound of a child's hearty laugh
- One thing that I can live without is...stress! If only I could get rid of it!
- One thing people don't know about me is...that I was abused as a child.
- My life is...filled with surprises and extra-special people!!
Written by toners at 9:37 PM
Written by toners at 11:54 AM
Sunday, November 18, 2007
Written by toners at 6:54 PM
Saturday, November 17, 2007
I had fun yesterday playing with this Snowy House stamp from Stamping Bella; I popped it off the page and of course added some holiday sparkle with my Stickles :)
Working on a paper for school today, then hoping to get some creating done! Have a great Saturday!
Written by toners at 10:21 AM
Friday, November 16, 2007
Written by toners at 2:14 PM
It's been quite a busy week, with some card projects due and school work to be done - along with the usual house/family stuff. So I'm glad it's Friday and tomorrow we don't all have to rush out of bed in the morning :) Nattie's going to a sleepover birthday party tomorrow, and then after we pick her up on Sunday we're going to to shopping for a new bed for Jamie: right now he's sleeping on a queen-size bed, but it takes up too much space in his room so we're going to see if we can find him some kind of loft bed that will help us use his space better.
Back later with a layout for a scrapbooking challenge....how to combine black, white, and glitter!
Written by toners at 7:54 AM
Thursday, November 15, 2007
This is my second set of ATC's for the upcoming swap. These ones are made with stamps by Stampendous! I just love the image of the owl and the mouse! Thanks for stopping by :) I'm off to Nattie's classroom to help out for the rest of the afternoon. Catch you tomorrow!
Written by toners at 1:25 PM
Written by toners at 1:12 PM
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
I finally finished my Artist Trading Cards for Taylor's swap :) I love how they turned out! That liquid applique is so cool for the snow effect :) These ones are made with stamps from The Cat's Pajamas and patterned paper by KI Memories.
Oh, and one of my cards is being featured on The Cat's Pajamas website as November's Project of the Month. Alma has created a PDF file for you to download - so stop by and check it out :)
Not too much else going on today...working on lots of school work. Week 3 is always busy, it's right in the middle of the class. So I'd better hit the books! Have a very happy Wednesday :)
Written by toners at 12:54 PM
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Yahoo! What a great time of year to stock up on those stamps you've had on your wishlist! The Cat's Pajamas is holding a sale this weekend - 25% off! Wow! Just click here to check out all the fabulous images featuring Sprinkle, Poochie, and friends, all designed by Alma. She has also updated the Gallery, so be sure and stop by there too!
Written by toners at 4:05 PM
Written by toners at 3:42 PM
Written by toners at 6:36 AM