Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
The kindergarten teacher I work with was absent for the last couple of weeks of school before winter break; her mom was very sick and unfortunately passed away on the 18th. Today I went to the funeral service along with another staff member from the school. I was watching the kids who were there and thinking how tough it would be to lose someone right in the middle of the holidays, when that time of year is already so stressful for many people. I came home and gave my kiddos and hubby a big hug...
Written by toners at 8:55 PM
Monday, December 29, 2008
Hi all! Thank you for all the happy birthday wishes :) I had a super day with DH and the kiddos, and then our neighbors came round in the evening for a few hours for cocktails, appetizers and cake! It was just a fun, fun day! I love birthdays :)
Today's card is the one I made for this week's "Who's That Girl?" challenge that Laura and I are hosting on the My Favorite Things forum on Splitcoast Stampers. I used one of the featured sets for this week, "Hot Stuff", and our additional challenge is to use torn paper somewhere on the card. The patterned paper is the "Sugared" collection by Basic Grey.
As always, thanks for stopping by!
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Friday, December 26, 2008
I wanted to wish all my blogging friends a super holiday season :) I hope you're all having a terrific time so far, whatever you're doing!!
Santa was very kind to us this year; he brought the kids (and Iain and me) a Wii, so we spent some time yesterday bowling and playing mini golf :) We all got some awesome treats and are enjoying spending some relaxing days together. Our Christmas Day is always very laid-back; Iain and I both have memories of stressful Christmases when we were kids (I'll save you any more details than that), so when we had our kids we decided that Christmas Day would always be about them. We stay home all day, we stay in our jammies all day, we eat what we feel like having for dinner, we pull our Christmas crackers, we play the new games the kids received (this year it was Blokus, Guess Who? and Memory Madness), and we just hang out together. It's fun for all of us :) And that's the way it should be, right?
I have my birthday coming up in a couple of days...the big "3-7" - yikes! :)
Written by toners at 9:29 AM
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Written by toners at 6:00 AM
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
I was running a little short on holiday cards as I was writing them out this week, and made a few of this simple card to send to friends and relatives in Scotland. The image and sentiment are by Hero Arts :)
What are your weekend plans? I have to finish up some holiday shopping, Jamie is going to a birthday party, and I need to clean my house! This evening Iain and I are going to the holiday party for the staff at the school where I work - I'm looking forward to hanging out with everyone and being able to chat for longer than the few minutes we usually get! Whatever you're up to, have a terrific weekend!
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Monday, December 08, 2008
I found these questions on Jayne's blog. Play along if you'd like and post your answers on your blog!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper
2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial - I have 4 cats and there's no way a real one would last :)
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually Thanksgiving weekend
4. When do you take the tree down? Before New Year
5. Do you like Egg Nog? No
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I remember being really excited when I received a doll's house one year
7. Hardest person to buy for? My hubby!
8. Easiest person to buy for? The kids
9. Do you have a nativity scene? No
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail - always!
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? My first bra - from my dad! Ugh! I still cringe when I think of that!
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Scrooge (the musical version with Albert Finney as Scrooge)
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? When the mood strikes
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? See's mint truffles :)
16. Lights on the tree? Yes, it's pre-lit!
17. Favorite Christmas song? Jingle Bell Rock
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Always stay home on Christmas Day - it's the kids' day.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Actually - no!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Nothing this year - our tree topper got broken last year (cats again!) and I need to buy a new one!
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Everything on Christmas morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Crowds and cranky people.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? We don't have a theme - but what's cool about our tree is that it is just that - ours! It has a whole mix of ornaments from past and present, each with its own story.
24 . Favorite for Christmas dinner? Whatever takes our fancy that particular year!
25 . What do you want for Christmas this year? Still haven't thought of anything specific! It's driving my hubby up the wall :)
Written by toners at 8:06 AM
Sunday, December 07, 2008
Here's my card for this month's 3 Peeps Challenge. For December, Karrie, Linda and I challenged each other to make a card that includes the following:
* The colors pink, brown and white
* Stitching or faux stitching
* Felt embellishments
I used the "Party Hat" image from The Cat's Pajamas, and patterned paper by Die Cuts with a View. The flower embellishments are made of felt :)
Here's a fun idea that I found through a link on Jill's blog. Every Friday there are sentences posted for you to fill in and post on your blog. Here's the one for this week (I know, I'm a couple of days late...):
- Snow is beautiful!
- I'm looking forward to our winter break - 2 weeks off school for the kids and me.
- Earl Grey is the best tea ever!
- One of my favorite old TV shows is Roseanne :)
- I'm done with scraping ice off my car with a credit card (that's what I get for forgetting to put the proper scraper in my car this week).
- The most enjoyable thing around the holidays is watching the kids enjoy the season.
- And as for the weekend, I'm looking forward to my stamping class. Tomorrow my plans include shopping for Nattie, and on Sunday I want to relax!
Written by toners at 9:11 AM
I held my FUNraiser class for the school yesterday and it was a great success! The ladies all loved the projects that we made, and I even sold out of the extra kits that I had prepared too! I will be donating 75% of the total sales back to our PTA, which will be a nice chunk of change between the class fees and my additional sales. Thank you, ladies!!
I picked up Sue on Friday night; she got the bus straight from work to the stop at Aspen Park, about 20 mins from my house. We went and picked up pizza for dinner before heading back to the house. It was cool that she was able to sleep over and participate in the class the next day :)
After the class, we headed down the mountain. We had dinner at Applebee's and then went to Kohl's to pick up some jeans for Nattie - why do those kids just keep on growing? What's with that? :)
What are your plans for today? The kids and I are staying home and won't be going anywhere except out to walk Tasha this afternoon. I have some cards to make for some challenges this week, as well as a paper that's due tomorrow night for school. Have an AWESOME Sunday!
Written by toners at 8:39 AM
Thursday, December 04, 2008
Written by toners at 7:42 AM
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Monday, December 01, 2008
of my new space down in the basement :) I love it! I've actually changed it around a little since I took the photos, but you get the general idea, right? The kids are really enjoying it too; the three of us can create together down there, but we're not all on top of each other like we were when I was in the room upstairs (now our guest room). This coming Saturday I'll be holding my card class here - this is the one I'm holding as a fundraiser for our school's PTA. It's a full class - there are 10 AWESOME ladies signed up and I hope they have a great time!
I started putting the class packs together today...and I have to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Alma of The Cat's Pajamas and Kim of My Favorite Things - they each donated all the stamps for this class! As a result, I'm able to donate 75% of the cost of the class to our PTA :) How cool is that???
How was the rest of your Thanksgiving weekend? We spent our time finishing up the basement, putting up our Christmas tree and decorations (inside: me; outside: DH), and generally just hanging out together. It was great having Iain home and off work for such a long period of time :) This week he's flying to Scotland on Thursday; he'll be back next Monday. He's going to visit his mum - she's in her 80s and so even if we can't afford for the 4 of us to fly back every year, we figured it would still be nice for him to take a short trip over and spend a few days with his mum and sister in Gourock. The kids and I have a list of goodies for him to bring back for us...
Have a great week!