Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter Driving School


This weekend we went to Steamboat Springs so that I could take the Winter Driving Class at Bridgestone Winter Driving School that Iain had booked for me as part of my Christmas present. We drove up on Friday evening right after school, and then on Saturday morning I went and took my class while Iain and the kids went tubing at a nearby snow park.
As some of you know, I don't do too well driving in difficult wintery conditions; I really needed my confidence to improve. We started off with a half-hour session in a classroom, and then went out on a shuttle bus to the driving track. It is set up with all different kinds of turns: loose, tight, uphill and downhill. We did practice with brakes (ABS on and off), then went to do some skidding which was scary but tons of fun :) I definitely learned a lot and boosted my confidence about controlling the car a little more when I get into a tough situation!

9 comments:

Lisa Itatan January 31, 2010 at 10:29 PM  

That sound soooo fun. So much better than sking since you have a heater in the car.

Heather February 1, 2010 at 6:09 AM  

That's awesome! We rarely get wintry precipitation of any kind here, and so when we do, everyone (myself included) kind of freaks out. I would love to take a driving class to learn how to actually drive on icy roads!

Maureen February 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

I can see where that would be necessary. At least here our roads are flat. Icy, but flat. I would be nervous about hilly winter driving too.

Driving School Gloucester March 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

It's very extra challenge to drive especially on winter day,you really need to have a strong engine to surpass the snow.Wish to experience that kind of adventure.

Tyre Changer March 25, 2010 at 5:18 PM  

My winter driving lesson i took last year was really fun and enjoy.Aside from the snow on the road,it makes me feel a more complete driver.Winter driving is much harder than driving on ordinary seasons.

tyre valves April 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

Driving on snow is fun but sometimes hard than ordinary seasons.So be careful and here's one tip.Decrease your speed and leave yourself plenty of room to stop.You should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you.

Redditch tyres February 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

Winter driving is harder than ordinary season.It is because icy condition became a variation when compared to normal days.

Driving Schools August 25, 2012 at 5:28 AM  

I love to drive during winter, but I really make sure to drive safely.

Driving Schools August 8, 2013 at 9:07 PM  

Great post, for sure your idea is working best for me. Thanks!

Colorado Driving Schools