Friday, July 13, 2007

Keeping in touch.

This is an interesting question from the Two Peas blog challenge for today: "do you keep in contact better with others by email, phone, or in person?". I'd say that it depends on the person: of course, for my CJ groups we are in touch almost daily via email or through Yahoo Groups. I have a couple of long-distance friends who I chat with more on the phone than any other way - my friend Jackie in Boston, and my friend Cynthia in Carlsbad, CA, for example.

My grandad and I have been writing letters to each other since Iain and I moved to the U.S. in 1993. He lives on the south coast of England and is in his mid-90s, but still makes the time to write to me twice a month. In fact, if I don't respond quickly to his letters, my Auntie Joan sends me an email asking me if everything is OK since gramps hasn't heard from me :) His letters are very descriptive; he describes what flowers are in bloom at any given time, where he has been on little day trips with the pensioners' group, and any recent games of bridge or bingo he's been playing. I treasure those letters.

4 comments:

Jill July 13, 2007 at 4:19 PM  

That's neat about your grandpa! I have only one friend who writes real letters with anything close to consistency.

Lynn July 13, 2007 at 7:47 PM  

That is sooo sweet! I'm the one who writes to all my friends and pray for a letter back. I know.. I'm wishful.

Maureen July 13, 2007 at 9:18 PM  

Wow, that is so great. What wonderful gifts those letters must be...a treasure indeed.

Janet July 14, 2007 at 2:59 PM  

A handwritten letter is indeed a treasure. What a keepsake those will be in years to come.