Friday, July 31, 2009

Featured Blogger Friday - Week 1


As promised, this week I'm starting "Featured Blogger Friday". I am hoping that each Friday I can introduce you to a person whose blog you will get something positive from, whether that is some new stamping techniques, scrapbook layouts, some fantastic recipes, unique shopping sites, or simply some excellent writing that will make you smile. And that's where my first Featured Blogger fits in :)


I discovered Maureen's writing a couple of years ago. Her blog is called "I'd Rather Be Blogging", and her writing style is just fantastic. Maureen has a way of making everyday life happenings sound like fun. I think her style appeals to me because there's occasionally that sarcastic tone (yep, we Brits like that) and the entries are very easy to read. It's the kind of blog that you can read and relate to in some form or another. Maureen very kindly took the time to answer some questions from me. Here are her responses, written in fantastic Maureen style::)


Tell us a little about you: Okay, let's see...in a nutshell I am a 48 year old Canuck; a wife of 29 years, mother of 18 years and hospital computer geek for the past 30 years. I am also a Star Wars collector, Johnny Depp obsesser, animal lover and wannabe artister, er, artist.
How long have you been blogging? Over three years now...gad, that can't be right...hold on. Yep, I just checked; it's correct alright. I've been on the interwebs for even longer. Since the my-ears-are-bleeding-from-the-screeching-modem days, believe it or not. I've been building websites since 1997 for me, my daughter, family members and even for work. Which isn't as much fun, but it's the bestest part of my workday. I mean, who wouldn't love to get paid to surf the web!
When I began blogging in 2006, I started with not one, not two, but three (of course - leave it to moi to go overboard from the get go):
- a general blog ("Stale Coffee")
- a blog about my Pirates obsession ("Pillage and Plunder")
- and one for my artwork and hobbies ("Creative Chaos")
In 2007, I morphed "Stale Coffee" into my current humor blog, "I'd Rather Be Blogging". Most recently, I've re-vamped and resumed my "Creative Chaos" blog so that I can post my paintings, cards and drawings online.
Why do you blog? Hmmm...I keep asking myself that same question; especially when writer's block smacks me upside the head.
I guess I simply wanted to find out IF I could do it, for you see, I sucked (no I really, REALLY did) at writing when I was in school. I couldn't tell the difference between an adverb and an adjective. Erm, I probably STILL can't, but I have honed my skills by reading gobs of grammar and writing books. Which you can probably tell, particularly when I used refined words like "gobs". Then when I started blogging and getting some positive feedback on my posts, I enjoyed writing more and more. Now, as in my typical OCD fashion, I am obsessed with it.
What's your favorite topic to blog about? I started out doing a general topic blog, simply writing about whatever mundane thing happened that day. *Yawn*. But when I wrote about plunging myself into yet another stupid, er, humorous situation, I was surprised at the positive response. So now I focus on humor. Disconcerting though it may be, these situations seem to occur all too often around here, so I have blog fodder to last quite awhile it seems.
Have you learned anything special from blogging? I've realized how very small the Internet has made the world. I have 'met' so many talented bloggers from all across the globe who I love to visit on nearly a daily basis. I've also learned a lot about coding by finding templates I like and customizing them ad nauseum. 99% of my computer skills are self-taught, so I get a real Geeky Thrill™ when something I do actually works! (I think "Geeky Thrill" SHOULD be trademarked. Just imagine the gobs of money I'd make at Comic Con)
What do you hope that people get out of reading your blog? I hope they get a laugh, giggle, snort or even a smirk...unless it's on my art blog. Then...not so much.
Can you give links to 3 of your favorite blogs, and tell a little about why you like to visit them? Well, since I could never limit my choices to only 3 of my bloggy friends, I'll choose a couple of pretty well-known larger sites that tickle my funny bone:
Cute Overload - because who can resist kittens and puppies that make you go "Awwww......"?
I Can Has Cheeseburger - because who can resist kittens and puppies that make you go LOL, LMFAO, ROTFL or even LOLZ?
Cake Wrecks - because who can resist laughing at other people's horrendous mistakes - especially when it's in icing?:)


Soooo...there you have it! My first Featured Blogger Friday :) Be sure to hop over to Maureen's blog for a laugh and to say hi! Tell her I sent you :)
If you have some nominations for FBF, drop me an email at toners@wispertel.net - and remember, any blog goes! Crafty, non-crafty - just anything that you want to share with the rest of us!

7 comments:

jillconyers July 31, 2009 at 4:39 AM  

Featured Friday Blogger...what a great idea. I've been a long time visitor of I'd Rather Be Blogging.

Have a great weekend Toni.

Heather July 31, 2009 at 5:51 AM  

This is a great idea, Toni! I love Maureen's blog too and think she's an awesome choice for your inaugural installment of FBF! :)

Linda July 31, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

I like your idea for a featured blogger, now I have another blog to read. :)

I'm also catching up on my reading. Love your photos of Hawaii. It looks like a really nice vacation.

I love all of the cards you have posted. I really like those penguins, there is something about them, really they are so cute.

Maureen July 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Aw, thanks so much for the interview Toni... it was my very first one (it's harder than you think to answer questions about yourself - or at least I think it's hard). I was most honored to be your first.

And not only do I get new readers, I also get new friends to visit too!

Thank you so much for all your kind words, everyone. It was great fun!

Carol August 1, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

Great idea, Toni! Just paid Maureen a visit; and I gotta have one of those robots, too! I just saw it featured in Disneyland and my first thought was how I wish I could bring him home! :)

Debbie August 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

How fun! I didn't realize you were going to interview the blogger, this is great.

Janet August 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

I'm a big fan of Maureen's blog, so it was great to see it featured! Super idea, Toni!