Friday, April 10, 2009

Tasha Update

Thank you so very, very much for all the concern about Tasha. She is getting a little better every day and has been a good girl about taking her medicine (even if it does have to be hidden in a teaspoonful of peanut butter).

I finally got a call back from the boarding place the other night. The owner listened to everything I had to say and seemed to genuinely feel bad about what happened. Of course, she didn't know how it had happened (which is what I expected her to say). She said they noticed straight away that Tasha is a very timid/nervous dog, and I told her that we had also written about that on our information sheet when we dropped her off. So why didn't they keep a better watch on her? I said one of my biggest concerns (along with the apparent lack of supervision in the yard) was that since we knew from the vet that the wound was relatively old, this meant that Tasha didn't get a whole lot of TLC.

I might be being a little idealistic here, but I would like to think that if you had a new dog staying at your facility, you'd check in with the dog at least once a day, pet them and talk to them and just generally see how they're doing. If they had even taken the time to pet Tasha on the head, she would have yelped and/or flinched from the pain in her ear, and perhaps the bites would have been noticed and treated a lot sooner.

Anyway, in the end (after pointing out that we did, of course, sign a waiver) she agreed to pay for half of the vet bill and to refund Tasha's boarding fees. Then she asked if we would consider giving them a second chance - HA! That's a good one! No way will she be going back there!

9 comments:

Heather April 10, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Well, at least she is helping with the vet bill and refunding your money. I'm with you - I wouldn't use them again!

Tracy April 10, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

Good for you Toni! That's the very least they can do. I'm with you on that. Heck I'd come up there to take care of her next time. Sweet thing. MWAH!

Debbie April 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM  

Good for them, I'm glad they are helping with the vet bill and refunded the boarding fees. Next time you are going to travel, you will have to book the good place way ahead of time!

Maureen April 10, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Poor Tasha! I am so sorry to read this! The last time we boarded Casey, she was very bad when I arrived.... I had never seen her so misbehaved at a kennel before. It was the first (and last) time I will take her there. I wondered what the heck went on while we were gone.

Linda Nicholson April 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

I'm glad that you are at least getting a little help with the vet bills. I'm with you, I wouldn't take my pets back there either (and I sure would make sure that anyone that I know with a pet doesn't take them there either).

Linda

Janet April 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Well, I'm glad they agreed to take at least some responsibility. Not nearly enough, IMHO. I'm glad Tasha is improving, though. That's what really counts!

Sarah Coggins April 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Glad the owner is taking some responsibility. And, I totally agree - no way would I send my dog there again.

Linda April 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

I'm sorry to hear about Tasha's experience at the kennel. I am glad that the owner is taking some responsibility. Even though I know our dogs are at a great kennel, I still worry about them. I hope Tashe feels better soon.

Darcey April 14, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

I am so glad that they are giving you a refund and paying for half the vet bill. I would never give them a second chance either. You would think that someone would be petting and playing with each dog every day, since they are in the dog business!