Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Poor Tasha

Hey there, well I had all good intentions for getting my TCP Tuesday card done yesterday, but ended up having to make an emergency run to the vet. When we picked Tasha up from the boarding place on Sunday, she had a cut on her ear. At the time it looked pretty clean, and we figured it would just heal itself. By yesterday morning it had become severely infected and I had to take her in to the vet before I went to work.

It turns out she had 2 dog bites on her ear and she had to be sedated so that they could clean it up and stitch it...they also had to pump her with some IV fluids because she was a little dehydrated. After a long day of phone calls to and from the vet, we were able to pick Tasha up at dinnertime yesterday. She has pain meds and antibiotics, and has to wear one of those cone collars for at least a week. I feel so bad for her; she's just not herself!

I think she'll get a good rest while I'm out at work this morning; I gave her some of the medication and she's fast asleep now. I got up this morning and boiled some chicken for her (the vet gave us a list of bland foods she wants her to eat if she won't eat the dog food for now). She ate it happily (I had to hand feed her; she hasn't figured out how to eat with the big collar on yet) and it stayed down, so that's a step in the right direction.

13 comments:

Darcey April 8, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

Oh no! I hope she is feeling better soon! Have you used this bording place before?

Betty J Schaub April 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Awe give Tasha a little hug from me. We just had to put our little wonder doxie, Droopy down at 14 1/2 yrs. of age. It's so hard when our fur babies get sick because they can't tell us what hurts. I'm glad Tasha got the treatment she needed and will be alright. BUT, how did she get the bites in the first place???
Huggies,
Betty aka ZacksNana

Alma de la Rosa April 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

Oh no! I hope she feels better. But the indignity of the cone.... ;)

Heather April 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM  

Oh, poor doggie! I would be furious with the boarding facility! Did they not tell you about her getting bit? And why did they have her around another dog they weren't sure about? I'd be making a phone call! Duchess & Bogart send Boxer wiggles her way.

Carol April 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

oh, poor thing! great that she is mending, cone and all - she is one lucky girl, great care and being hand fed- sweet! Hope she bounces right back in just a few...

Unknown April 8, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

Oh NO! I think the boarding place needs a GOOD talking too! I can't believe that they allowed the dog bites to happen & let her get dehydrated!
Try mixing plain white rice with the chicken (I usually boil it in with the chicken). It's a great healing meal for you pooch.
Libbi is sending happy thoughts & tail waggings on to Tasha!

Alice April 8, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

How come she got bit at the boarding place? I would be furious!

I hope Tasha mends soon. Wearing that humiliating Elizabethan collar cannot be much fun for her.

SueB April 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

I hope Tasha's back to her normal self soon. I'm amazed that the place didn't inform you of any altercations that happened when Tasha was in their care and will be curious to hear whether they step forward and accept responsibility for your vet bills when they get back to you! Accidents happen but they should have 'fessed up.

Karrie Baker April 8, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

Poor Tasha indeed!! I hope you give that boarding house hell. What were they thinking??? How come they didn't say anything? URGH!!

Anywho, I hope your sweet baby gets better soon!

Elena April 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

Oh, no... Poor Tasha.... Hope she will get better very soon!
Really sorry it happened, Toni...

Tracy April 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Ohhhh my Toni! I'm just catching up on my blurfing. Poor baby Tasha! Please give her a big wet kiss for me. *wink* I am so sorry this happened. What did the boarding place have to say? Is this typical or a risk you take? I would be so upset.

{{{{{{Big Hugs to you too!}}}}}}

Linda Nicholson April 10, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

Ahh Toni...if I lived closer to you I would have just taken care of all of your animals. This is totally unacceptable on the facilities part....shame on them.

I hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Linda

Janet April 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

Poor baby! I'm so far behind on my blog reading, Toni! I hope she's doing much better by now.