Friday, November 28, 2008

I met...

Simon Cowell several years ago; we were on the same flight as him from Glasgow, Scotland to London Heathrow. We saw his girlfriend in the first class lounge but didn't think too much about it; then when we boarded we saw him with her. At that time Nattie had just started to watch "American Idol" with me, and she was quite smitten with Simon :) So when we got off the plane in London, Nattie and I left Iain and Jamie behind and followed Simon to baggage claim; by the time we got there, a small crowd had gathered but Simon was such a gentleman about it all. He took the time to chat to everyone; when our turn came, Nattie told him that we lived in California and that she had just started to watch the show. He said "thanks so much, sweetheart!" and gave her his autograph :) He was such a nice guy!

I also met Sir David Frost in an elevator in the London Heathrow Marriott on that same UK trip. Some of you may know him as a respected British journalist/writer/broadcaster. He was also extremely polite and chatty!

Have you met any celebrities? And was it a positive or negative experience?

8 comments:

Heather November 29, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

That's really neat. I've met a few semi-famous people...no huge names. I've met Kenny Wayne Shepherd (blues guitarist) and his singer, Noah Hunt. I've also met Vince Gill's ex-wife, Janice, a few times. She used to be in a country group called Sweethearts of the Rodeo. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Noelia November 29, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

That's so cool that Nattie and you got to meet Simon! I like him too :)

Unknown November 29, 2008 at 12:46 PM  

I met Red Skelton in a jewelry store downtown Kalamazoo back in the late 70's. He was a favorite of my mom & dad's & he was performing in town. I found out where he was on my lunch hour & went to get his autograph for my parents. He called me Sweetheart too. A very gentle, genuine man.

Lisa Foster November 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM  

That's so cool that you got to meet Simon!
I met William Shatner when I was a kid. He was very nice. I will tell you that he is extremely short. He was dressed in his Captain Kirk outfit and he had on elevated boots, but he was still short...but very cute, at least to a ten year old Star Trek fan :) I also met Eddie Money a couple of months ago after his concert in Lexington.

SueB November 29, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

My sister and I met Linda Ronstadt in the late 60's when she was singing with The Stone Poneys at a concert at Dean Jr College in Franklin MA. We'd headed to the restroom and she was there, prepping before going on stage, and she was very nice too.

Lida November 29, 2008 at 9:25 PM  

That is very cool, and thats nice of him to be polite when so many others are idiots.

Janet December 1, 2008 at 8:42 AM  

Very neat stories! I think the only celebrities I've met are sb'ing celebrities! lol Ali Edwards, Cathy zielske, etc.

Maureen December 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM  

Very cool! So glad to hear he was nice; it just shows a lot of that "nasty" is simply an act.

I have met quite a few celebrities, mostly from the Star Wars movies. Only one was a jerk; the rest were quite lovely! I have also met Ted Neeley, Phil from the Amazing Race, Ethan and Jenna from Survivor.... all were just great experiences!