Sunday, August 03, 2008

Okay, so I guess bears really do live here...

I know, I've posted photos of bear footprints, and last weekend my hubby scooped not only dog poop from our yard, but elk and bear poop too. But still, I hadn't actually seen a bear, so I didn't quite grasp that these (large) animals really do roam around the mountains here. At night. In our yard.

About 10 minutes ago, though, I was sitting here in the family room finishing up some email before bedtime. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a shadow, and my immediate thought was that our friendly neighborhood fox was out for a nighttime stroll. Then I looked again and realized that this "fox" did not have a big, bushy tail and was somewhat larger than the average "fox". To quote Shaggy from Scooby-Doo: "Zoinks!"

Our garage door was still open and I saw the bear go in the garage, at which point my heart started to race at about a gajillion beats per minute - especially since there's a door that goes from the garage to the family room. I got the car keys and turned on the car alarm, thinking that the noise would send the bear rushing down the driveway in terror. Nope. The bear wandered out of the garage and stood on the front lawn, just 6 feet in front of the window where I was watching from! I couldn't believe it. I'd say he was about 3 feet tall from paw to shoulder - very stocky and slow-moving.

Then he (I'm just calling the bear "he") went back into the garage another 2 times before finally ambling back down the driveway into the darkness, taking his time about it. Determined little (actually, big) guy!

When my heart rate was somewhat controlled, I went through the living room to the garage to shut the garage door, while honking the car alarm - just in case. I noticed that Tasha's new bag of (unopened) dog food was pulled halfway out of the garage! The bear didn't want our trash, like we hear about - he wanted a big ol' helping of Purina!

Anyway, the garage is now secure. All doors locked. All windows closed. I'm heading to bed but am not sure how much I'll sleep! What a rush!

14 comments:

Lisa Foster August 3, 2008 at 6:48 AM  

Oh wow...a BEAR!!! How scary!...(but the way you told your story had me in stitches:). Seriously, glad you guys are ok and you didn't suffer a heart attack!

Unknown August 3, 2008 at 7:05 AM  

Freaky! My mind would have been racing as well, lol!

Case in point:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10752654&postcount=2097

;)

mborrero August 3, 2008 at 7:16 AM  

ah animals and the wild life...

what to do what to do?

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings August 3, 2008 at 7:42 AM  

Wow!!! I can only imagine...my knees would have been knocking!

Anonymous August 3, 2008 at 7:50 AM  

YIKES!!! That's why I live in the part of colorado were there AREN'T bears. CREEPY!!!!

Lisa August 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

WOW!!! I checked you blog before and I went to bed last night and before Mr. Bear arrived. So no pictures? :)

Guess when you live in Bambi country you learn to close the garage door at night.

Janet August 3, 2008 at 10:01 AM  

Holy cow! That would be scary, and exciting, at the same time! Who knew that bears eat Purina Dog Chow?!

Unknown August 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM  

All this & NO camera at hand???? I was going to ask about the dog food, but then read on & saw that yep - he/she was after that!
We have raccoons & who knows what else try & get Libbi's dog food in our garage!

jillconyers August 4, 2008 at 5:47 AM  

That is so cool...scary but cool!

Thank you for the award :)

Darcey August 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

Wow! I would have been freaking out! Glad it left the dog food. I bet your garage door will not be left open anymore;)

Benita August 4, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

OMGosh! I would have gone NUTS! How scary! Glad he finally left your garage & didn't take your dog food! But where's the pictures??? LOL.....kidding, of course ;)

Maureen August 4, 2008 at 10:34 AM  

And bring the dog food indoors!

Wow! What an experience... he wasn't scared of the car alarm??? He must troll the neighborhoods often to be used to that trick by now.

Holy crap, I wouldn't be able to sleep either!

Jen Sue Wild August 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM  

Your bears my moose boy we make a pair. I am not sure if I would rather have the moose or the Bear. Hmm

Sarah Coggins August 5, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

What? No photos? :D LOL Just kidding! Glad you all are ok and the bear went on about his evening. Hope you were able to get some sleep.