Friday, July 25, 2008

Lava entering the ocean!











The Park Rangers told us that lava is entering the ocean outside the National Park boundaries. The State of Hawaii set up a safe viewing area that is open from 2pm to 8pm each day. So we hopped in the car and headed down to the end of Highway 130 to check it out...

As we approached the end of the highway we could see the plumes of steam rising from the ocean. When we parked the car we had to walk a mile over hardened lava just to get to the viewing site. The walk itself was an amazing sight! Other visitors told us that after sunset the scene is spectacular because you can see more of the red "glow" of the lava.

12 comments:

Lisa July 25, 2008 at 9:07 AM  

Great photos Toni! Maybe we should have our next CJ retreat in Hawaii.

Lisa

carinh July 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM  

These are awesome photos. I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon in 2001and someone happened to mention to us that there was a place you could go to see the lava. We went just before sunset and stayed for the sunset, it was absolutely one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Sues July 25, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

These are just so cool! It's hard to imagine what this looks like IRL! Retreat in Hawaii - NOW YOU'RE TALKING!

Janet July 25, 2008 at 6:48 PM  

Wow, I've never heard of this! I can see it would be absolutely fascinating to visit this area. Your pics are just amazing, Toni!

Sarah Coggins July 25, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

Lovely photos! What an amazing sight to see. :)

Anonymous July 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM  

Absolutely stunning photos Toni! I've enjoyed catching up on your travels!

Also . . . I've left a little something over on my blog for you!

Maureen July 26, 2008 at 7:28 PM  

Wow... I have never been to Hawaii... would love to see this for myself one day!

But in the meantime, I can enjoy your spectacular photos!!

Lindsay Spencer July 26, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

These last few posts are amazing. I love all the fabulous pictures. I want to tag along next time!

Heather July 28, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

Thanks for sharing these. That is so neat. I bet it was awesome in person!

Jenna July 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM  

wow! These photos are great Toni! What an amazing thing to have experienced.

Ryzmomplus2 July 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM  

love these pictures! I so want to be there!

Linda Nicholson July 30, 2008 at 7:42 AM  

These are just beautiful! I can only imagine how cool this would have been to see IRL!

Linda