Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Dad

This Father's Day, I thought I'd share a little about my Dad :)

My Dad's name was Richard James Marsh. He was born in England in 1948 to his parents (my grandparents) Percy and Edith Marsh. Percy had his own building business. From what I've heard, Dad was a pretty typical little boy; we have a fun photo of him taken when he was about 6 and he's holding a toad :) Dad went to Salford University in Manchester and got a BSc in Electrical Engineering. He married my mum in August 1970 and I came along in December 1971. We were still living in England at that time, but moved up to Scotland in 1977 when I was 5 and my sister was 2.

Dad pushed me pretty hard academically - sometimes way too hard, but I believe he meant well. We had our issues, that's for sure - but today's not the day to get into those. The fact that we had problems at times doesn't mean I don't miss him, though - he died in September 1989 from stomach cancer - he was only 41 years old. A lot has happened in my life since I was 17 that I know he would have been very proud of - in particular, me marrying Iain and us having our 2 great kiddos.

If your Dad is still around, be sure and give him a big hug or special phone call today.

9 comments:

Carla June 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM  

What a great idea to share some bits about your dad!

I'm such a loser-I forgot Father's Day! We are moving, and I completely forgot about it! Luckily DH did a terrible job on Mother's Day, but I still feel terrible!

emily June 15, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

I will (give my dad a big hug)! Thank you for sharing about your dad...

mborrero June 15, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

Thank you for sharing your Dad with us. :)

Sues June 15, 2008 at 9:01 PM  

Thanks Toni for the inspiration! :) I did call my Dad and brother today and had a nice conversation with them. I'm going to go blog about this myself...

Anonymous June 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM  

I enjoyed reading about your Dad. I'm so sorry you lost him when you and he were both so young.

I had to work today, but did give my Dad a call when I got home. We made plans to go shopping tomorrow for his Father's Day gift.

I am especially thankful for my Dad this year. He had a very rare form of cancer and just had major surgery. We just received the pathology report and I'm happy to report he is now cancer-free.
This was his second form of cancer,and major surgery, in 2 years.

Ryzmomplus2 June 16, 2008 at 6:13 AM  

So sad to read about the loss of your father so young, great post in remembering him though!

Linda June 16, 2008 at 1:49 PM  

Thanks for sharing about your dad. I did call mine yesterday and we had a really nice chat (he doesn't like talking on the phone too much)

Darcey June 17, 2008 at 9:19 PM  

Nice post about your Dad. Fathers are pretty special.

Janet June 18, 2008 at 10:30 AM  

What a lovely post!