Monday, May 05, 2008

Lost tooth! And where did 13 years go?

Jamie lost his first tooth last night! It has been noticeably loose for a while, but we didn't think it was coming out as soon as this. I actually got pretty emotional - my "baby" (don't let him hear I called him that!) is growing up way too fast for me!

Coincidentally, yesterday was also 13 years since we had our stillborn baby girl, Carol Helen. I can't believe it was so long ago. Iain and I were living in Orlando; we had been married just 18 months and, looking back, we were very young: I was 23 and Iain was 28. It was an awful time for us; our excitement and happiness were shattered and turned to grief and sadness so quickly.

Carol had spina bifida, and in honor of her birthday I've made a donation to March of Dimes. This is a great organization that (among other things) educates the public about birth defects, premature birth, and infant mortality. Before I got pregnant again in 1996 with Nattie, I started taking a mega-dose of folic acid, and I continued to take it all the way until I had Jamie in 2002. It took us 6 pregnancies to have 2 healthy babies, and I am thankful every day for being lucky enough to be Carol's, Nattie's and Jamie's mom.

I hope you enjoy the "toothy grin" photo of Jamie :) He was more than happy to pose this morning!

17 comments:

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings May 5, 2008 at 4:05 PM  

Oh my...that toothy grin is absolutely adorable. Thanks for the smile. I am sorry for your loss.

It's Not Easy Being Green May 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM  

Great pic. Happy Birthday Carol!

Lida May 5, 2008 at 6:05 PM  

What a pretty smile and handsome boy! Happy Birthday Carol baby!

emily May 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

How cute is he?! What a great pict.

Lindsay Spencer May 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM  

Such a cute "baby" boy. If you want to read something that is similar to your story go to www.audreycaroline.blogspot.com. But you have to read from the beginning. It will fill your heart with an enormous spirit of love.

Carla May 5, 2008 at 8:07 PM  

He is adorable!! I have a 4yods, so I know this is coming soon!

My heart breaks for you losing your babies. I hate to hear this, and so many of my friends have similar stories. I thank God you have two beautiful children, you are lucky to have them! I'm lucky for my three, too1

Lynn May 5, 2008 at 8:13 PM  

Ahhhhh look at that BIG smile! He is so proud! I hope that the toothfairy is going to be good to him. I'm putting in a good word for him.

Benita May 5, 2008 at 9:41 PM  

{{{Toni}}} I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Your 'baby' (oops, don't tell him I called him that, lol) is so cute! Love the big grin :)

Aimeslee Winans May 6, 2008 at 3:03 AM  

My prayers for your comfort, Toni.

Love all the cards you've made! I like stinkin' funny sentiments, too, winkwink. Hope your snow storms are winding down. Thanks for tagging me, I promise to get to it real soon!

jillconyers May 6, 2008 at 5:58 AM  

What a cutie! Gotta love toothless grins :)

Sarah Coggins May 6, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

Jamie is adorable - such a cute photo. Happy belated birthday to Carol! :) Thank you for sharing about your daughter. ((HUGS))

Linda May 6, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

He is so cute! I hope the tooth fairy is good to him! ((HUGS)) going out to you on Carol's birthday

Heather May 6, 2008 at 11:01 AM  

What a cutie!! I bet he's really proud of his first lost tooth. :) I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. ((HUGS))

Jen Sue Wild May 6, 2008 at 4:01 PM  

My heart is so full from your post.
Thank you so much for shareing Carol with us. 13 years I bet some days it feels like yeasterday happy birthday baby girl..

Jamie's grin is priceless.

Sues May 6, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

The first tooth is always the best! Love the smile - he is just so cute I just want to (((hug))) him!!! Happy Birthday to Carol. You've come a long way in these past 13 years, amazing how fortunate you have really been!

Anonymous May 7, 2008 at 12:22 AM  

What a fantastic photo . . . losing that first tooth is always so exciting isn't it. Thanks for sharing Carol's story with us all too - I can't begin to imagine the heartache you endured at that time . . .

Ryzmomplus2 May 7, 2008 at 4:56 AM  

Sweet sweet picture and isn't it amazing how the time goes by. Great way to honor your daughter's memory. My heart goes out to you for all you've been through!