Friday, April 11, 2008

TEAL - Typo Eradification Advancement League

Have you read about this? I know they've been featured on NPR and some other news channels, but I have been LOL at some of their activities. This group has been on a mission to "stamp out as many typos as we can find, in public signage and other venues where innocent eyes may be befouled by vile stains on the delicate fabric of our language." Everyone has their pet peeves, and I have to say that one of mine is seeing signs such as "Strawberry's for sale" :) The group has been going out, Sharpie in hand, and correcting the typos they find across the United States. Here's the blog.

My hubby, on the other hand, didn't get what all the fuss was about. I told him that to someone like me, seeing huge typos is like him hearing an unfamiliar rattle in a car. Then he got it. :)

6 comments:

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings April 11, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

This is great! We were watching the news about this very thing. My son watched me watching the news, I smiled and said, "It's about time!!!" and he grinned and said, "I knew you'd love it!" I called our local DQ recently and told them they needed to change the "your" to "you're". Most of my pet peeves are grammar related!

Lida April 11, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

Oh my gosh I am sure I make a gazillion typos so it must be horrible to read me, but as soon as I catch one I change it. But I can imagine how u feel if that is your pet peeve lol!

Kira April 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

I have definitely had that urge myself on signs that are just so obviously wrong. It's one thing if you just make a mistake typing something, but when you put up a public sign, especially if it is just a few words, shouldn't you get it right?! I definitely have it as a pet peeve too! Eats, Shoots and Leaves is a fab book for the grammar lovers. It pokes at these sorts of errors too!

Heather April 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM  

I'm by no means a grammar expert, but the whole using an apostrophe to make a plural drives me NUTS! I see it on a daily basis at work...on "official" company documents, no less! LOL

Penny April 13, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

I so understand! These errors drive me absolutely crazy!

Aimeslee Winans April 13, 2008 at 9:00 PM  

Now if they would just add apostrophes on all the Mens Rooms...lolol. (Sorry, old rant from like 1988, when I first noticed it...).