Thursday, April 24, 2008

Random questions and answers :)


The cards here are two of the four we'll be making at my next class at the store here in Conifer. Yep - it's a set of cards made with stamps from MFT.
Also, I've had a few questions posted lately so I thought I'd bunch them all together and answer them here for those who want to know...

Where do I get the time to make the cards? Well, I'm a stay-at-home mom, and this is the first year in 10 years that I've had both kiddos at school full-time. It's been quite an adjustment! As some of you know, I'm also working on a degree online (Criminal Justice Administration), so I split my time between that, DT work, helping out in my kids' classrooms, stamping for myself and those pesky tasks like running errands, laundry, cleaning - you know, the ones that get in the way of the crafting time :)

What do I do with the cards? If I'm making cards for a DT assignment, I usually make 1 or 2 to send to the stamp company (they use them for displays at conventions or to send to stores selling their stamps), 1 to submit for publication, and 1 or 2 for my stash :) I have drawers labeled for different occasions and keep the cards in there to use when I need to. I make sets of cards for birthday/holiday gifts too and will sometimes use cards I have already made to give a nice assortment.

If someone were going to buy some Copic markers, what colors would be good to start with? I built my collection up set by set. The first set I bought were from My Favorite Things - I got Set A. If you are looking to collect the markers individually, I think a good way to go is to buy a number of shades of one color, so that you can use them together. The blues and reds are some of my favorites, and the earth tones are the ones I use for coloring skin...there are several of those too. One trick I learned about the Copics is that if, for example, you're coloring a hat blue, color the whole hat in one layer of color and then add another layer of the same color on one side of the hat to make it slightly darker and thus shadowed. So even if you just have one marker, you can still get some great effects with layering!

What's happening with my oxygen "stuff"? Well, I am still using the oxygen at night, but next week I'm getting fitted for a nasal CPAP mask to see if that helps improve my night-time oxygen levels. Nothing showed up on the CT scan, so my sinuses are OK, but the sleep study showed that I still have mild/moderate sleep apnea, so fingers crossed that the CPAP works. Another thing that the doctor suggested is that losing some weight would help too...but that's a whole different topic, right? I don't think we need to go there today... :)

I hope this helps answer your questions! And thank you for stopping by!!

11 comments:

Aimeslee Winans April 24, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

Oh, dang, that old mean doctor! That's off topic, ROFL!

Janet April 24, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Toni, thanks for the info about Copics! Your timing was perfect. We have a great Art Store in town and I hope to stop by there today! :-)

Linda April 24, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

I agree with Janet, perfect timing. I have been thinking about taking the Copic plunge...maybe a birthday present from dh. :)

I hope the CPAP works for you. Beautiful cards!

Sues April 24, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

Love the cards! Maybe I can take the class remote!! Who needs a clean house and clean clothes? I'm with you, I'd rather be scrapping!! Love the other tree card too!

Debbie April 24, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

Cute cards, is that really beads on the side of one? As far as the doctor's comment, I think they use the excuse "if you would lose weight" and "as you get older" way too often! LOL!

Lynn April 24, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

Toni, I just love these cards. Those stamps are just tooo cute. Now you know that I'm outta of the loop on card making, but I'm glad that you talked about the Copic markers. I've been thinking about getting some. Thanks for sharing.

Lida April 24, 2008 at 4:00 PM  

Aww thank you for sharing that Toni! I love the cards you are so talented!

suzann April 24, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

Thanks for sharing a little about you. And the info/advice on the copic markers is great. The more I hear about them, the more I think I need them!

Great cards!

Jen Sue Wild April 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

I love the Youga card.

I really hope the cpap wrks for you. I know it helps my dad alot..

Linda Nicholson April 26, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

Your cards are beautiful Toni! Your coloring always just blows me out of the water!

Linda

Kim April 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM  

Too cute Toni!!! Love those class samples!!