Saturday, April 19, 2008

Back when I was a kid...



Today's blog challenge on 2 peas is "how is life different for your children than when you were growing up?". Some of these points make me feel REALLY old! LOL!


I listened to cassettes on a player that only played one cassette at a time...my kids listen to CDs and iTunes

I used to buy singles with my pocket money (allowance) - Nattie buys herself iTunes cards.

I had to sit through TV commercials...my kids can fast-forward past them thanks to TiVo

When I was at college, I researched my papers using books at the library...my kids will probably do a lot of their school research in online libraries (as I do now that I am back in school!)

My clothes were dried hanging out on the washing line...my kids' clothes are dried in the dryer

My roller skates were worn over my shoes...rollerblades are a shoe of their very own

Reality TV when I was growing up was - the news! ... my kids are familiar with shows such as Survivor, Amazing Race...

I had never heard of the Internet when I was a kid...but my 6 year old has!! In fact, my daughter even asked, "were you born before the Internet was invented?"

My entertainment on long car rides was my Sony Walkman (yep, more cassettes)...my kids have the choice of iPod (Nattie), CDs, or even a DVD if they're lucky!

I was able to go to the park by myself, stay there for hours, and come home by myself - while feeling safe...unfortunately that won't happen with my kids.

We started out with 2 channels on our TV and eventually went up to - woo hoo! - four channels! BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4...and we all know how many channels there are on TV now!

Our TV remote had a wire connecting it to the TV! LOL! - not so nowadays :)

When we got our first microwave, my sister and I sat in front of it and watched it like a TV show - very cool! - To my kiddos, the microwave is just the machine that pops their popcorn...

I learned to type on a typewriter in a Secretarial Studies class at high school! I can hear the teacher now: "a..s..d..f..a..s..d..f..and again...a..s..d..f" - my kids have learned to type on a computer keyboard without having to take a class!

I rode my bike with - gasp! - no helmet; I skated without kneepads or elbow pads, and rode in the car without a car seat - not so for my kids!

I was able to walk home from school for lunch every day...my kids would have to be signed out of school by me if they wanted to come home for lunch!

What about you? What can you add to the list?


10 comments:

carole (TruCarMa) April 19, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

Oh, Toni -- that picture of the walkman took me waaaay back!! Too, too funny -- weren't you the coolest when you finally got one of those? And my mom hung the laundry outside, too. Nothing like 'stiff' underware, is there?! : )

Linda Nicholson April 19, 2008 at 1:48 PM  

How about carrying around a ghetto blaster on the top of your shoulder while listening to Michael Jacksons newly released Thriller album! Thanks for the laugh Toni, but boy do I feel OLD now!

Linda

Debbie April 19, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

Okay, I am REALLY old:
We only had ONE tv channel and I was amazed when we moved to California and had 13 channels. Now there are how many?

I remember being excited when I got an 8 track player for my car.

Our first VCR cost $800, yes there are two zeros after the 8! Do people even own VCRs anymore?

I remember the computer room at my first job. Not for computers, plural, but for the one computer. It filled a room. Now one can fit in your purse.

Sues April 19, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

Wow, amazing how things have changed in just a few years. I mean... we're only 29 right? How can things be so different??

Carla April 19, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

The four of us could leave the house and be gone for five or six hours, no one ever worried. I know where my kids 4yo, 14yo, 17yo almost every hour of the day.

I still remember the first time I heard a discman. I was standing at the electronics counter at the brand new WalMart (cool then, despised now), in Alamosa, CO. I put the headphones on and hit play. As soon as I heard the first strains of music, I ripped the headphones off and stared guiltily around. The sound was so clear, so crisp, so big, I thought I had somehow hooked into the main store speakers!
Fast forward a few years, circa 1991. I walk into the house, and DH is listening to Dark Side of the Moon while lifting weights. I asked him if we got a new stereo, he said no, I just replaced the album with the cd. There's a lot more to Pink Floyd than I knew when I was a kid and my big brothers listened to them!

CircesMagic April 19, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

What a great answer...My daughter asked me the other day what this thing was...she said "At Graces house she had this machine that you put paper in the top and then you press the keys kinda like the computer keys and it made this loud click noise and the words were on the paper." Um its called a Typewriter..I felt so old!

Pearl Maple April 19, 2008 at 6:18 PM  

Great post, it is always fun to remember when and share the fun times with your littlie's.

toners April 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

Oooh, after reading your comments I will have to go back later and add to my post :) There is more to say!

Janet April 20, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

Such a great list! Mine would be very much the same as yours. It's amazing how much things have changed in the course of our lifetimes! Your list would make a great LO, BTW! :-)

Aimeslee Winans April 24, 2008 at 9:52 AM  

This was well-documented trip down Memory Lane, LOL.