Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I feel terrible today...

I was cat-sitting for our neighbor while she was out of state visiting her family. Her DH stayed behind because he had to work, but she asked me to go along and feed the cats and let the dogs out around 4pm each day since DH wouldn't get home until later (one of the cats is diabetic and needs 2 shots each day).

At the end of last week, I went down to the house, put out food for the 6 (yes, 6) cats and then headed out to the garage to feed the 3 dogs and let them out to run around. After about half an hour, it was time for me to head home so I got the 3 dogs back into the garage and watched them closely while I closed the garage door - what happened was I was watching the dogs so carefully that I didn't see one of the cats (Diego) run out and before I knew it he was trapped under the garage door. It took me a couple of seconds to react and get the door open again, and Diego ran off to the side of the house.

I heard him meow really loudly, and there were thunderstorms heading our way, so I went and found him to take him inside. When we got inside the house, he was definitely having trouble with one leg, so I made him comfortable and figured I'd leave a message for the DH (who is a vet and would be home in a couple of hours).

A couple of days passed, and yesterday we had to feed the cats again - but there were only 5 cats around, so when we got home I left a message for the DH to find out how Diego was doing. Imagine how horrible I felt when he called me back last night to say that when he came home that night and listened to my message, he went looking for Diego and found him under the dining room table - he had passed away. I don't know what to do. I just feel awful.

4 comments:

Colleen July 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM  

Oh no...I'm soooo sorry.

Jill July 10, 2007 at 2:13 PM  

Oh! I'm so so sorry! :-( :-( :-( :-(

One time a friend of mine's dog got his chain wrapped around the bumper of my car while I was parked at her house. I didn't know & pulled out. He was just a little scraped up by the time I realized something was wrong and I felt AWFUL!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry that happened & hope you can forgive yourself as I'm sure your neighbor will.

Brenda Smith July 10, 2007 at 2:29 PM  

I'm so sorry! I know you feel awful! But you had no way of knowing the extent of the injuries. What a terrible thing to happen. I'm real sorry,

Janet July 10, 2007 at 8:42 PM  

Oh...bless your heart. That is so sad. Please know that that accident could have happened to anyone, anytime. You're an animal lover, and they know that, so of course they'll forgive you, and you must also forgive yourself. {hugs} Janet