Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Would you like this kind of memento as part of a yearbook?

This morning I went to help out at Jamie's preschool. I helped the kids made plaster casts of their handprints; such a cute gift for moms and dads at the end of the preschool year! I was talking to the other moms and they were telling me all about the Conifer High School yearbook which was handed out last week.

It turns out that the yearbook features photos of students drinking and doing drugs, along with writing about regrets of "getting caught" by police, etc. The yearbook was only overseen by one adult and was not even reviewed by another teacher or the principal before going to print (at a price of $57 per copy!). The school is now offering a full refund or replacement stickers to cover the 4 offensive pages while the incident is investigated.

May 11th the yearbook was handed out to students and of course the complaints started coming in....you can read the full story on our local news channel here.

What do you think? Who (if anyone) should be held responsible?

6 comments:

Janet May 22, 2007 at 7:58 AM  

Oh, my gosh! I would be appalled if something like that happened in our school district. I'm with you...it shows very poor judgment on the part of the person responsible for the yearbook. Wow, I just cannot believe this!

Heather May 22, 2007 at 9:07 AM  

I too would be appalled. I would presume a staff member was the adult to oversee the yearbook committee or whatever they call themselves, and in my opinion that person should suffer some consequences. If it wasn't a staff or faculty memeber then that is a bad choice by the school.

Lynn May 22, 2007 at 9:20 AM  

Oh my, I would be appalled also. I have a Sr in High School and let me tell you, there are at least 3 adults that oversee this yearbook and then it goes to the principal for approval and then on to the Superintendent of Schools for his approval. Definately poor judgement on the part of the school district.

Colleen May 22, 2007 at 9:56 AM  

Wow! Yeah not OK for a yearbook! I would say the teacher responsible and the school admin are responsible for having that printed. Surprised the printer didn't question it to be honest!! Brutal!

Unknown May 22, 2007 at 11:25 AM  

OMG! Can't believe no one oversaw this. Crazy!

just jenn May 22, 2007 at 7:02 PM  

I definitely think that the blame belongs to more than one person here. The advisor of my yearbook in high school (I was an editor) looked over everything that we did. We also didn't put things in the book that would offend others.

Now reading my sister's book last week there is a page about teenage pregnancy and a girl who became pregnant, married and divorced all in the same school year. I was kind of miffed by that but it's not my yearbook.