Monday, April 20, 2009

Let's hear it for electricity!

Yeah! We have electricity, running water and internet access! Things were rough for the last couple of days - we ran out of water in the toilets so had to keep filling them up (with melted snow!) so that we could flush them; we all showered at the rec center on Sunday after Jamie's swim lesson, and we have more extension cables than we ever thought we'd need! I am glad that we got the generator during our first winter here - it definitely helped to at least be warm and to be able to have our refrigerator working, if nothing else.

We were all ready to head out to a hotel tonight if we needed to, but then around 3pm we got that flicker, and the power was back on! We waited a few hours before packing away the generator and cables, just to be sure, and then we were able to get some things done like taking a hot shower, getting some laundry started, and running the dishwasher! How did we ever manage without a dishwasher?! :)

Now I have tons of catching up to do for this past week of my school class. Ugh! For some reason, things don't seem too bad though - because compared to 24 hours ago, life is GOOD! I can flush my toilet, and it fills up again by itself! Yeah!

Thank you everyone for all the warm wishes. I'll be back tomorrow for TCP Tuesday :)

10 comments:

jillconyers April 21, 2009 at 4:58 AM  

Glad to hear you're back with power and running water. And internet!!

Heather April 21, 2009 at 6:33 AM  

Hooray for electricity & water! Glad everything's working again! :)

Linda April 21, 2009 at 6:57 AM  

I'm glad you have power and running water back again.

Lisa Foster April 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

Oh you poor guys!! That is no fun to have to live like that. Glad you made it through! I could never be Amish!

Debbie April 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

Roughing it can be fun for a short time, kind of like camping. But flushing toilets with melted snow, never fun. LOL. Makes you really appreciate all our conveniences doesn't it!

Sues April 21, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

I'm glad to hear you're back up and running! I heard there are still places without.... You're always welcome down here for a shower and a warm bed if needed!!!

Maureen April 21, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

Yay! Isn't it amazing how much we depend upon our comforts of life... and what a shock we have when they aren't there?

Glad to hear you are all okay and warm again ;)

Darcey April 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

So glad you are back up and running!

Elena April 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM  

I am so glad that the power is back! Life is good!

Anonymous April 22, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

I'm so glad we didn't get that snow!!! My hubby kept asking me to "check that ladies blog and see how much snow they got"..lol. He was jealous of the snow, not me :)