Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tuesday update :)

Well, my sleep study went relatively smoothly. I think I looked like Medusa with all those probes sticking out of my head! I did get some sleep and was woken up around 6.30am. It turns out that throughout the night my oxygen frequently dipped down to 85-86%, which isn't too good, considering that they usually want it to be around 95%. I was also snoring loudly, according to the technician. He also said that I probably lost 3-4 hours of quality sleep time. That's the scary thing about sleep apnea: even though we think we're getting "quality" sleep, we're not really, because of all the times when we're stopping breathing, and our body is readjusting, trying to get back to sleep.

Next is the CT scan which is being scheduled next week, and then my doctor and I can chat and see what will happen next. Thank you everyone for all your good wishes - I'll keep you posted! I guess "the tank" and I will be friends for a little while longer...

11 comments:

Benita February 26, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

My dh has sleep apnea, too....he uses a CPAP machine every night & it's made a HUGE difference in the quality of sleep he gets (not to mention my sleep as well since he doesn't snore that loud anymore ;). Keep us posted....you'll be in my thoughts & prayers!

Unknown February 26, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

Aw Toni - I'm so sorry. But I also know it's nothing to mess with. My friend went through this last year & they told him that it also affects weight/diet and attention spans. He now wears the contraption every night.
I'm thinking & praying for you as you go through this whole process!

Anonymous February 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM  

So glad you are getting this checked out. We need you well rested so that you can continue to inspire us with your wonderful, stamped creations!!! :)

Darcey February 26, 2008 at 12:13 PM  

I have sleep apnea and I was told if I lose weight it would get better. I need to go for another study. I also should be using my CPAP machine. It is annoying, but if it would make me less tired it would be worth it.

Carla February 26, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

I think you need a card-email your addy and I'll send you some cheer!

Anonymous February 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

Oh goodness . . . sounds like it is a good thing that you are getting this looked into . . . please keep us updated . . .

Linda February 26, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

I hope that the CT goes well and gives you some answers. Sending out postive thoughts!

Lynn February 26, 2008 at 6:31 PM  

I can only imagine how annoying that machine could be, but if it works and you are getting better quality sleep, I think its well worth the trouble. I wish I had better quality of sleep. I know its because of dh's snoring and then of course the dog at my feet isn't helping.
Good luck with the rest of your test and keep us updated.

Aimeslee Winans February 27, 2008 at 12:24 AM  

Wow, I have wondered if I have sleep apnea, and I've wondered more if my DH has it. Guess I need to look into it more. Good luck with the treatment and hang in there!

Linda Nicholson February 28, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

We just want you healthy Toni! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Linda

Janet February 29, 2008 at 6:51 AM  

Gosh, that's a lot of sleep to lose in a night. I hope they can figure out some answers for you!