Thursday, March 22, 2007

Please say "thank you"

I am really into good manners. From a very young age, I was told to always say "please" and "thank you", and as soon as I could write, the thank you letter became a regular part of the days following my birthday, Christmas, or any other time I received a gift. When I lived in Scotland, I often wrote to my Nana in England. She told me that receiving anything in the mail that wasn't a bill could really brighten someone's day, and that stuck with me. I love the idea that someone receiving a card or note from me will go to their mailbox, check their mail, and smile at the one thing they open which isn't junk or a bill. I see that in my kids' eyes too, when a friend sends them a postcard from a vacation, or a note just saying "hello".

Now that Iain and I are parents, the responsibility of teaching good manners has shifted to us. We are teaching Nattie and Jamie the same principles we were taught, and (so far) it is working well :) Of course, getting them to write their thank you letters to all the relatives and friends after birthdays and holidays is no easy feat, but I hope they "get" how important it is and how much these notes can mean. I try to encourage them with special notecards of their own, or even get them to make some by hand, if they are in the mood. And e-mail thank you's are a no-no :) I tell them that if someone took the time to send them a gift and write a card, they deserve the gift of a thank you note in return. It only takes 10 minutes to make someone's day.

2 comments:

Unknown March 22, 2007 at 1:26 PM  

I love your cards! They're beautiful!

Theresa March 23, 2007 at 9:40 PM  

Pretty card!