Thursday, March 29, 2007

It's hard to try and catch some zzzzz's at a sleep center :)




Last night I had a sleep study done at a Sleep Center down in Lakewood. I'm told (by my hubby) that I snore really badly - so much so that he spends more than 50% of his nights on the couch in his office :) I saw an ENT doc a couple of weeks ago and he recommended the study.

I went down mid-afternoon (we were expecting snow in Conifer and I didn't want to be driving in it), and hung out at Starbucks for a few hours working on my school paper. Around 9pm I checked in at the sleep center, not knowing many details about what to expect. It really was a bizarre experience: a big battery-pack type thing strapped around my waist, and electrodes on my legs, chest, neck, scalp and forehead. I looked like Medusa with all those wires coming out of my head. Going to the bathroom was quite an ordeal: lots of wires to take care of and make sure they didn't dangle into the toilet, LOL!
I got an oxygen monitor on my finger and around 10.30pm tried to go to sleep....and tried....and tried. I must have been awake for a couple of hours trying to get comfortable - not the easiest thing with 20+ wires to become tangled with :) The technician came in at one point and asked me to switch from my side to my back so that they could "hear the snoring at its worst"; I switched positions and the next thing I knew I was being woken up at the glorious hour of 5:30am - and it was snowing!
The technician told me that I did snore and that I woke up a lot - without even being aware of it. Also my oxygen dropped by 3%, which isn't great either. So now I just wait for the report and see what's next. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to a nice deep sleep tonight - watch out, Iain!! :)

4 comments:

Janet March 29, 2007 at 8:24 PM  

Wow! That was very brave of you to do the sleep study. :-) I hope they can give you some suggestions for improving your sleep. If you are waking up a lot, you're probably not getting the best quality of rest. Good luck with the process! :-) Janet

Noelia March 30, 2007 at 11:30 PM  

A friend of mine had the sleep study done as well and she didn't have a good experience either. She had a hard time falling asleep like you. It doesn't seem like fun but hopefully it will help your sleeping patterns. Let us know how it goes.

P.S Did the leak stop?

EquineSpirit March 31, 2007 at 7:46 AM  

My stepdad had to go through all that as did a friend of his. It doesn't sound like much fun nor a good way to get ANY sleep. Hope you were able to catch up on lost zzzzz's the past couple nights.

Jill March 31, 2007 at 9:44 PM  

Such sweet pictures! My pediatrician's been telling me not to worry about the sleep study for my daughter - to just go ahead & remove her adenoids regardless. I'm scared to though. I hope your sleep study gets you some good answers/does some good!!!!!!!